Olympics: Japan's swimming star Kitajima denies immediate retirement

Wednesday 20 August 2008

TOKYO - Japanese swimming star Kosuke Kitajima, who pulled off an Olympic breaststroke double for the second straight time, on Tuesday denied any immediate plan to retire after the Beijing Games.

"As for my retirement, nothing has been decided yet," the 25-year-old told a news conference in Tokyo.

"I have never said about anything," Kitajima said of the possibility of his retirement after winning the 200m race on Thursday last week following his 100m triumph in world-record time.

Kitajima said: "I still think that I can show my swimming to my fans. I want to hold on my answer for now."

Kitajima had reportedly voiced his intention to end his career after the Games.

"Inside myself, I feel it's over. I have taken it one last time and the results have made my team and my coach happy," Kitajima was quoted as saying by the Yomiuri Shimbun.

0 comments: