Olympics: Ohuruogu stuns Richards to take women's 400m crown

Wednesday 20 August 2008

BEIJING - Christine Ohuruogu of Great Britain produced a stunning race on Tuesday to add the 400 metres Olympic gold to the world and Commonwealth crowns she already owns, winning in a time of 49.62 seconds.

The 24-year-old, who served a one-year ban last year for missing three dope tests, beat home Shericka Williams of Jamaica (49.69 seconds) while favourite Sanya Richards of the United States took bronze (49.93 seconds).

Ohuruogu, who won her world title in Osaka just over three weeks after serving out her suspension, gave herself a large pat on the back.

"I am just so proud of myself," said Ohuruogu, one of 10 children and of Nigerian descent.

"I know I am the type of athlete who rises to the big occasion. For instance, this season has not been a great one but I targeted this title like I did for the world championships.

"You always have dreams that you cross the line first, but they rarely become reality. I just ran across the line, thinking, I won!

"The 400m is about the person who can fight to the line and I might not get the best start or be the fastest but if you want to beat me you have to fight me. I will fight to the line and I do not give up.

"That's life. You have to take the ups and the downs. You don't take anything for granted. I have worked hard for everything I have done."

She pointedly refused to talk about the year's ban.

"I got what I wanted and no I don't have a message. I have nothing to say about it," she said and then pointed to her medal.

Ohuruogu, who challenged and won her case at the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) against the BOA by-law which bans athletes who served suspensions for doping infringements, looked out of contention rounding the bend and with 100 metres to go.

Richards, who had said last week that she thought the Briton was fortunate to be competing here, looked at that point set fair for the gold she believed was her due after a miserable year suffering from a rare illness in 2007 as she had a clear lead.

However, down the straight the Jamaican-born naturalised American started to tie up and Ohuruogu's more measured and controlled race paid off as she passed two Russians and then the final prize of 23-year-old Richards.

Ohuruogu crossed the line just ahead of the fast-finishing Williams, who had passed a tiring Richards.

Richards, who as a result of Behcet's disease suffered such bad mouth ulcers that she could not eat or talk, cut a dejected figure.

"I'm not well. I just worked so hard for this.

"This is so devastating for me. I was in control coming round the curve and then my right hamstring cramped on me.

"It went with 70 metres to go. I feel so betrayed by my body again.

"It's such a tough break."

However, Ohuruogu's coach Lloyd Cowan had a different perspective.

"I had noticed that Sanya got flatfooted at around 320 metres and that was when you had to go for her," he said.

0 comments: